Igael Tumarkin was born in 1933 in Dresden, Germany, and immigrated to Palestine in 1935. He studied with Rudi Lehman in Ein Hod. In addition to his artistic achievements, Tumarkin is also a theoretician and stage designe.
He worked for the Berliner Ensemble with Bertold Brecht. The 1950s found Tumarkin in East Berlin, Amsterdam, and Paris. Upon his return to Israel in 1961, he became a driving force behind the break from the charismatic monopoly of lyric abstraction.
Tumarkin created assemblages of found objects, generally with violent Expressionist undertones and decidedly un-lyrical color.
Tumarkin's outdoor sculptures repertoire is consisted of over 100 commissioned works including: Peace Memorial, Hebron Road, Jerusalem commissioned in 1966,
Monument to the Holocaust and Revival", Rabin Square, Tel Aviv commissioned in 1971, "Happenings and Homage to Kepler", Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv commissioned in 1972, Homage to Robert Capa, Pozoblanco, Spain commissioned in 1989, La Liberte, Bordeaux, France commissioned in 1989, Bertolt Brecht, Berlin Museum Garden commissioned in 1991 ,Three Faiths, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem and sculptures - Abu Nabut Garden, Jaffa.
Throughout his vast artistic career Tumarkin received many prizes and accolades. In 1963 he won First Prize for Memorial of Choulikat and in 1968 he received the Sandberg Prize, Israel Museum, Jerusalem. In addition in 1985 he received the Dizengoff Prize for Sculpture and in 1997 received the Award of Excellence, the President of the Federal Republic of Germany in 1998 was Awarded the Sussman Prize.